13-15 lb turkey, backbone removed, flattened, wings akimbo
3-4 tbsp diamond kosher salt
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp black or lemon pepper
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp dried sage (optional)
Course chopped mirepoix (optional)
Fresh thyme (optional)
2-3 cups Chicken stock
1-2 cups white Wine
1 tsp dried rosemary, marjoram or any other spice or herb you fancy.
- Remove backbone with poultry sheers
- On cavity side, cut into breast bone/cartilage.
- Turn bird skin side up and press down til flat and tuck wings.
- Prep wire rack and jelly roll sheet
- Pat bird dry then season all over, both sides on rack
- Put in fridge for roughly 48 hours, uncovered
- Remove from fridge 1-2 hours before cooking
- Preheat @ 400F
- On a clean jellyroll pan, add mirepoix and 1 cup stock
- Cook uncovered for 40 min
- Remove from oven, baste, add remaining stock and wine
- Cook another 40 min or so, basting about halfway through. Tent with foil if skin is burning.
- Check the temp of the leg, if it’s 160F in the thick part of thigh it’s done.
- REST TURKEY under foil for 40 min before carving.
- Strain pan juices and veggies, squeezing into a fat separator.
- . Use pan juices as they are or make a richer sauce with butter or make a gravy with roux and more stock .
- . Carve and serve